Thursday, February 17, 2011

BACK TO BASICS

The term "back to basics" has been echoed through and through the real state community, but it really applies to all small businesses.  In today's "techno world" of blogging, facebook, twitter, and texting all sales professionals need to realize that we need to be face to face with our customers and talk to them on a regular basis.  With the economy turned upside down, everyone is trying to figure out the "new way of doing business" and I would submit to anyone that is selling any sort of service or product that you get back to the basics.  Handwritten thank you notes, phone calls, and the old stop by and say hello.  These things take time, but I would say that those that practice these skills on a regular basis will succeed into the future.    We need to "reach out and touch" our customers, friends and family.  We need to go back to the way things were when I started selling real estate 20 + years ago.  We need to understand our customers needs better and give them resources to help them with their experience.  We also need to understand all facets of our business, lending, title, inspection, insurance and so we can help guide them through the process, not just make a sale.  Those days are gone and are not coming back.

It is all about relationships, trusting who you are going to do business with and understanding your choices, regardless of what you are buying, cars, homes, tires or a latte' and so it's time we embrace the new rules and it time to roll up our sleeves and get to work.  We need to share information, provide the best customer service and take care of those that support us (you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours)  as this is the "new way"  even though it has a lot of standard tools of the trade.  I think that facebook, twitter, and texting have really connected people at a whole new level and those need to be embraced too, they are not going away.  We just do not want to loose site of the basics.  

1 comment:

  1. Bravo Diane! I couldn't agree more. I recently received a hand-written note from a student intern with whom I have been coaching/teaching sales techniques. I honestly couldn't remember the last time someone took the time to buy a thank you card and write (in their own hand) a well-crafted note of thanks. It's these little things that will help position us as trusted experts in our field. Great reminder to all of us that it's time to get back to basics!

    Carol Blodgett

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Missoula, Montana
Missoula has been my home for over 30 years and I have been selling real estate for 21. My experience, knowledge and ability to "tell it like it is" has put me in the top 10% of agents in the Missoula market. My commitment to our community is strong and knowing that we can make a difference in someones life is equally as important to me.